So lately I’ve been thinking a lot about
relationships, marriage, and what that looks like as a believer. I’m 26 years old, and what I like to
call “super single.” J The desire of my heart is to get
married, serve with my husband, and have a family. And, trust me when I say I pray fervently about these
things. And while God hasn’t
blessed me with a man who would be a godly husband yet, He has and continues to
teach me what a biblical marriage should look like. He’s shaping my heart in this waiting period, and while it’s
hard to wait for something you long for, I know there’s purpose in the waiting
and that He’s preparing my heart for beautiful things He has for me.
One thing that’s been on my heart lately is
biblical marriages. What do they
look like? What does a godly wife
look like? Is this even
possible? In my super-singleness
I’m not sure why God has laid this on my heart, but He has, so I’m learning,
praying, and letting Him shape my heart.
Here’s some of what He’s been teaching me, and my
heart and desire for my future marriage…
Submissive. The word itself culturally has
negative connotations. Many often entangle and intertwine submissiveness and
weakness. Personally, I
disagree. I think being submissive
under the right authority and leadership is a sign of great strength and
wisdom. The Bible has a lot to say
about being submissive. And while
some would argue that the verses that speak to women being submissive partners
in a marriage relationship are outdated and irrelevant in the 21st century,
again I strongly disagree. The
Word of our Living God is timeless, it is no less applicable today then it was
a thousand or two thousand years ago.
God isn’t bound by time; He defines it. Therefore, I think it’s safe to say that God’s Word doesn’t
have an expiration date or even a “best if used by date.”
I don’t think many would argue that the Bible
calls women to be submissive to their husbands, that’s just truth you can’t
deny that the words are there. Now
you can disagree with it’s application, relevance, etc. But it’s there, quite clearly. I’m doing a She Reads Truth study
of 1 Timothy right now, and the verses for today’s reading were 1 Timothy
2:1-15. We see Paul urging women
to be submissive in verses 11-15.
We see the idea of being wives being submissive to their husbands again
in Ephesians 5, and 1 Peter 3.
It’s there. We cannot deny
that.
For a while I really, really struggled with this
idea. Honestly, it seemed
degrading, disrespectful, and honestly just downright out-dated. My heart had been so influenced and
brainwashed by culture and the world—I didn’t like the
idea of being under the leadership of someone else. I didn’t like the thought of being this meek little woman in
a marriage with no backbone or no opinion, who sat in the kitchen and made
sandwiches. Not me, no thank you.
Well, the more I studied God’s Word and prayed
about this, the more He revealed.
To fully understand, I had to start in the Garden. In the first three chapters in Genesis
we see God’s beautiful design for creation. Can I just say how enthralled I am
with our God??? He really is a
beautiful Creator.
He designed us with such care, detail, and
purpose. Back to my point—When God
created man and woman he created them distinctly different, not just in
physical form, but in every way imaginable. God created us differently; another truth I don’t think many
would disagree with. God created
man and woman to delight in each others’ differences. We were created with very distinct and unique roles, but
equally as important.
For a time in the Garden, Adam, Eve, and God lived
in perfect unity with one another.
Adam fulfilling the roles that God had called him to as a man, and Eve
fulfilling her roles as the woman.
Bliss. Harmony.
Perfection. There was NOTHING
evil, dishonoring, or discriminatory about God’s creation. We were created to be dependent on our
Creator, and function within the roles that God had given us. Well. You know the story. Sin enters the world, and everything
changed. Separation, opposition,
discontentedness, and discord replaced the harmony, unity, peace, and
perfection that God intended for us.
There were and are many repercussions because sin
entered the world; the one that is most relevant to women and submission is in
Genesis 3:16. God tells Eve that
she will desire to control her husband, but he will rule over her. Now, the curse isn’t men will rule over
women, God’s design from the beginning were these distinct and unique roles;
the curse is that we as women, will want to assert control over our
husbands.
When I finally understood this, by the grace of
God, it made so much sense to me.
It’s where my heart once was, I didn’t want anyone to lead me, if
anything I wanted to be the leader.
Thankfully, through prayer, counsel, Scripture and the grace of God my
heart is no longer in that place.
I can see God’s perfect design for men and women. He created us to live in unity in our
distinct roles that He has called us to.
You don’t have to agree with what I have said about
God’s design or what I’m about to say about my desire for my future marriage, but it’s what the Lord has revealed to me through His word. Now I’m no expert on marriage, or even
relationships for that matter. But
I know what type of marriage I want. I know what type of wife I want to be, and I’m praying that
God-willing some day I will be. I
know the type of husband, I want to serve and serve with. So with that being said, I want to be a
submissive wife. My prayer even
now, in my singleness, is that God is preparing my heart to love and serve my
husband well.
Hear
me out. I want a biblical
marriage; one where two imperfect people who love the Lord, come together to
serve Him, and love others and each other. The idea of being submissive to my husband is only exciting
to me because I’m trusting that the man I’m going to marry is going to be
committed and unquestionably sacrificed to Jesus. When I pray for my future husband and marriage, I pray first,
that God would give me His best, and that whoever that is that he would love Jesus more than
anything in this world, and that we would share a Kingdom vision and eternal
perspective.
When
I think about the man I want to marry, I have high expectations, I’m not afraid
to admit that. But as a woman, and
someday as a wife, I believe that I’m called to submit to my husband’s
leadership and authority, and I want to have a husband who LOVES our God,
because that’s the leadership and authority I want to be under. So yes, I have high standards, and no I
won’t settle.
I want a dead
man. Sounds gruesome, I know, but it’s not; it’s
beautiful. I want a man who is
dead to himself, whose own life means nothing to Him, who doesn’t want a Sunday
morning Jesus, but is branded by the very God who has beautifully wrecked my
entire life.
I
seriously can’t imagine the joy I will have serving along side, and submitting
to the leadership of that kind of man.
We will be equal. We both have value, but we are called to VERY different roles in our
relationship. The bible calls
me to be submissive, while it says my husband will love me as Christ loved the
Church.
I know relationships and marriages aren’t rainbows
and butterflies, and that my husband won’t love me perfectly, neither will I
love him in that way. We’ll
fail. We’re humans. Only Christ can love us with that
perfect kind of love, BUT can I just say how exciting it is to think that the
man I marry is going to love me like Christ loves His bride. Christ laid down His life for the
Church, and that’s the way my husband is called to love me. WHAT A GIFT!!!! Being submissive is still a hard thing
for me to wrap my brain around sometimes because I’m opinionated, passionate,
and tend to be a little okay, maybe a lot argumentative. But, if someone loves me sacrificially,
and unconditionally, I can and want to submit to that.
Some of you might not agree, I would say with some
degree of certainty the world would call me nuts, and feminist probably want to
shake me, but that’s okay. This is
something I will wait for, and will not compromise on. This is what I’ve chosen, this is
what I believe to be truth, this is what I believe God wants for me as His
daughter.
Two years ago, if you had told me that I would
someday want to be a submissive wife I would have laughed, and said NO
WAY. But God has done and
continues to do big things in my life.
He continues to change my heart and make me more like Jesus. This is me, this is my story, and this
is my heart. I have seen in
Scripture the beautiful design that God intended at Creation, I have seen the
beautiful design of marriage in Scripture and through the lives of people I
love, and hopefully God-willing some day I’ll get to be the wife that the Lord
has called women to be in marriage.
These are my thoughts, and this is my heart all
because I fell in love with a man with holes in His hands, who came, died, and
continues to fight for and pursue His bride. I want my life to mirror the love story I have with my Savior.

Beautiful, beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing. You have a gift for writing! I pray God uses you to reach and encourage many women for the Glory of our Savior, Jesus!! I really enjoy your blog and how real you are:-)
ReplyDelete